Burnley Barracks Station opened on the 18th September 1848 as the terminus of the East Lancashire Railway, closing a year later when the Colne extension opened. The area around the station developed quickly with industry, housing and of course the cavalry barracks. The station reopened in 1851. The cavalry barracks was transferred to the newly built Fulwood Barracks on the 5th of December 1898. The home of the East Lancashire Regiment had fallen into a state of poor repair necessitating the transfer to Fulwood.
Nowadays this small station sits rather isolated in the middle of an area which has seen much demolition and development and surrounded by major roads. There is good access from the station to The Weavers Triangle on the Leeds Liverpool canal and a number of Lancashire cycleways pass the station.
Burnley Barracks Station
SD 830327 – for a map visit www.streetmap.co.uk and enter the grid reference.
Timetable from 18 May 2014
Colne to Preston & Blackpool South - to 5 October 2014
To get live arrivals and departures for your station click here.
- Unstaffed station
- Hourly service to Preston & Blackpool South and Colne
- Waiting shelter
- Long Line Public Address
To see National Rail’s new station facilities page for this station click here.
- Buses pass the station entrance on West Way – click here for bus timetables
- For a bus map of the Burnley & Pendle area click here
- Good access to the Leeds Livepool canal – click here for more information
- The Padiham Greenway passes close to the station – click here to download a copy of the accompanying leaflet, and for details of how to access the Greenway click here
- Good, safe, access to a number of cycleways immediately outside the station – click here for more information
Weather for this station
Click here for the weather forecast for this area