Burnley Central Station originally called Burnley Bank Top sits, on high ground close to the town centre. The town dates back to Anglo Saxon times when the town was established on the banks of the River Brun. The river gave the town its name derived from Brun Lea ‘the field near the Brun’. The town was granted its market charter in 1400 and at this time had a population of around 600.
With the coming of the Industrial Revolution the population exploded with townsfolk finding employment in cotton mills, coal mines and foundries. By 1886 Burnley was the cotton weaving capital of the world producing more cotton cloth per year than any other town in the world. The Leeds Liverpool canal runs through the town on an impressive mile long embankment, well worth a visit.
The railway station was opened by the East Lancashire Railway Company in 1848. A short branch line ran from the station to Bank Hall colliery and the branch has now been revitalised as a cycleway and pleasant walk.
Burnley Central Station
SD 839330 – for a map visit www.streetmap.co.uk and enter the grid reference.
Timetable from 18 May 2014
Colne to Preston & Blackpool South - to 5 October 2014
To get live arrivals and departures from your station click here.
- Staffed station (booking office open Mon to Sat 06.40 – 21.30, Sun 11.30 – 19.00
- Hourly service to Colne & Preston and Blackpool South
- Waiting Room (open during booking office hours)
- Car park (20 spaces)
- Long Line Public Address
To see National Rail’s new station facilities page for this station click here.
- Bus station is a 15 minute walk from the railway station – click here for bus timetables
- For a map of the Burnley & Pendle area click here
- Burnley’s new college is a 5 minute walk – click here for more information
Weather for this station
Click here for the weather forecast for this area