The railway arrived at Hapton in 1848 but the village here was probably developed during the Iron Age. A fortified manor house existed in 1242. Hapton Tower was built on the top of Hambledon Hill during the 16th century by Sir John Towneley, but by the 18th century the tower had been removed.
Hapton carved its living from cotton, coal and quarrying. The Leeds Liverpool canal passes through the village. In 1886 Hapton became the first small settlement in England to be powered with electricity. A tragic mining accident occurred at Hapton Valley colliery when on 23rd March 1962 a major explosion occurred with fatal results.
The surrounding country side is good for walking and there is a local nature trail at Castle Clough. Here close to the railway can be seen traces of the areas industrial past with the old reservoir which supplied a cotton dye works clearly visible.
SD 791317 – for a map visit www.streetmap.co.uk and enter the grid reference.
Timetable to 7 December 2013
This station is now a request stop – if you wish to alight at this station please inform the conductor and if you wish to board pleae make a clear signal to the driver.
Get up-to-the-minute train running information to your mobile phone. Text HPN to 84950 for next few departures for your chosen station. More information on Train Tracker can be found by clicking here.
To get live arrivals and departures for your station click here.
- Unstaffed station
- Hourly service to Preston & Blackpool South and Colne
- Waiting shelters
- Additional seating on platforms
- Long Line Public Address
- Community notice board
To see National Rail’s new station facilities page for this station click here.
- Buses pass the station entrance (services 23 & 24) – click here for bus timetables
- For a bus map of the Burnely & Pendle area click here
- Access to Leeds Liverpool canal is approximately 5 minutes walk from the station – click here for more details
- The Padiham Greenway passes close to the station – click here to download a copy of the accompanying leaflet, and for details of how to access the Greenway click here
Weather for this station
Click here for the weather forecast for this area