Huncoat station is situated close to the village centre. The village sits below the nearby Hameldon Hill. The doomsday book spells the village name as Hunnicot. The village was shown on Christopher Saxton’s 1577 map of Lancashire.
The Leeds and Liverpool canal reached Huncoat in 1801 and by 1830 the local brick making industry had been established. The original railway station at Huncoat was situated off Altham Lane close to what became the power station site. Huncoat coal pit was opened in 1885 when the first shaft was sunk to a depth of 850 feet. In 1902 the railway station was re located to its present site.
Between the two world wars the area alongside the railway developed rapidly, three collieries, two coke ovens and the world famous Accrington Nori Brick works all expanded and were served with a comprehensive network of railway lines. A viaduct of eight spans carried the branch from the station across Clough Brook into the industrial area. Production at Huncoat Colliery peaked in 1956 when 1,300 tons of coal was lifted in one day. In 1956 the massive power station was opened adjacent to the station and remained in use until 1984. The pit closed in 1968. The area covered by the old power station is now a green nature walk.
SD 772307 – for a map visit www.streetmap.co.uk and enter the grid reference.
Timetable from 18 May 2014
Colne to Preston & Blackpool South - to 5 October 2014
To get live arrivals and departures for your station click here.
- Unstaffed station
- Hourly service to Preston & Blackpool South and Colne
- Waiting shelters
- Additional seating on platforms
- Long Line Public Address
- Community notice board
To see National Rail’s new station facilities page for this station click here.
- Buses pass the station entrance (services 3 & 23) – click here for bus timetables
- For a bus map of the Hyndburn area click here
- Station Partnership - Hands on Huncoat (contact Brian Haworth on 01772 533196)
Weather for this station
Click here for the weather forecast for this area