Rishton Station like many small stations is situated on the very edge of the township it serves and is three and three quarter miles from Blackburn. The old manor of Rishton was owned by the Petre estate and in 1835 was listed as being part of the township of Blackburn. By the 1870s industries such as coal mining, cotton, brick making and quarrying were established in the local area. Rishton was the first place where Calico was woven on an industrial scale.
The name Rishton means village amid rushes. The Leeds Liverpool canal opened in 1810 and passes through the centre of the town. The well known Riston Cricket club stands close to the station and The East Lancs Sailing Club has used Rishton Resorvoir since the start of the 20th century. The well established Golf Club is close to the station and there are good established walks into the surrounding countryside including the Leeds Liverpool canal towpath.
SD 723297 – for a map visit www.streetmap.co.uk and enter the grid reference.
Timetable 8 December 2013 to 17 May 2014
Get up-to-the-minute train running information to your mobile phone. Text RIS to 84950 for next few departures for your chosen station. More information on Train Tracker can be found by clicking here.
To get live arrivals and departures for your station click here.
- Unstaffed station
- Hourly service to Preston & Blackpool South and Colne
- Car park
- Waiting shelters
- Additional seating on platforms
- Long Line Public Address
- Community notice board
To see National Rail’s new station facilities page for this station click here.
- Bus stops (services 6, 7 & 152) on Blackburn Road (5 -10 minutes walk from the station) – click here for bus timetables
- For a bus map of the Hyndburn area click here
- Friends of Stations group – Rishton Prospects (contact Brian Haworth on 01772 533196) or click here for more information
- Rishton Cricket Club is five minutes walk from the station – click here for more information
- Rishton Golf Club is a ten minute walk fro mth station – for more information click here
- The Leeds Liverpool canal runs through Rishton – click here for more information
Weather for this station
Click here for the weather forecast for this area